Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sending All My Love

 
I love these little mailboxes from Pottery Barn Kids.

How cute would it be for a kid to have their own mailbox for Valentine’s Day? To use each year, filled with valentines from loved ones as they come in the mail & a gift from mom/dad on the big day?
I  thought this would be a FAST/easy project (and it was), so here’s what I came up with:
  • One metal mailbox from Joann’s craft store ($3.99)
  • One long candle holder from thrift store ($2.00)
         You could use a shorter candle holder to place on table, or skip using one all together.
  • One initial letter from Joann’s craft store ($1.79)
  • White spray paint
  • Some red, white & pink felt (cheap at around 29 cents a sheet)
  • Fabric glue
  • Glue gun (or you could use all purpose glue or gorilla glue to attach decorative elements)
  • A festive button
  • Some festive fabric scraps
  • Pinking shears (these scissors really make all the difference with this project)
  • Regular craft scissors

First, I spray painted the initial, candle holder and wood knob white.

Then I cut & knotted fabric scraps around the flag arm, alternating patterns.  I then embellished the flag with felt hearts, glued together with fabric glue (pink felt was cut with pinking shear for decorative edge). I used the hot glue gun to adhere to the flag.
 I cut out some larger hearts from felt & glued a button on top of them, then hot glued it to the mailbox. Next, I glued the initial to the other side of the mailbox, added a felt owl I had on hand & glued the knob on the front. Lastly I screwed the mailbox to the top of the candle holder (just in case the glue decided not to hold).
Ta-Da!
Of course, this can work for boys too! Just choose different colors/themes.

As a lil' extra, I made a quick felt envelope to put inside (super easy). I sewed two pieces of felt together (you could just use fabric glue on the edges & skip the sewing). Cut out a little 'stamp' with pinking shears and put them down with fabric glue. I then slit an opening in the back so it can hold small gifts. I glued fabric scrap over the opening as trim.  It’s not perfect, but looks like it was ‘made with love’ and that’s all that matters, right?



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, this is so cute!! I think we will give it a try.

Michelle aka Naila Moon said...

I totally love this project. I wish my grand-baby was old enough, I would make her one.
I will save idea for future.
~Naila Moon

Shannon Brennan said...

So cute!!!

Anonymous said...

adorable

Anonymous said...

I'm going to totally make this! Did you have any problems with the knob/pull coming off?

Anonymous said...

We screwed the knob in to make sure it didn't come off. It's a few years later and we still use it every Valentine's Day. :)

Unknown said...

how tall was candle stick you used?

Unknown said...

how tall was candle stick you used?

pinoy1 tv said...

Pinoy Channel presents you Anak Ni Waray Vs Anak Ni Biday Episode HD Replay with is airing on Pinoy1 TV. You can watch daily pinoy tv shows free

Aliamay said...


Get all the latest clicksud onlineseriale online of clicksud and all the seriale online daily on this blog.

Post a Comment