Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sending All My Love

 
I love these little mailboxes from Pottery Barn Kids.

How cute would it be for a kid to have their own mailbox for Valentine’s Day? To use each year, filled with valentines from loved ones as they come in the mail & a gift from mom/dad on the big day?
I  thought this would be a FAST/easy project (and it was), so here’s what I came up with:
  • One metal mailbox from Joann’s craft store ($3.99)
  • One long candle holder from thrift store ($2.00)
         You could use a shorter candle holder to place on table, or skip using one all together.
  • One initial letter from Joann’s craft store ($1.79)
  • White spray paint
  • Some red, white & pink felt (cheap at around 29 cents a sheet)
  • Fabric glue
  • Glue gun (or you could use all purpose glue or gorilla glue to attach decorative elements)
  • A festive button
  • Some festive fabric scraps
  • Pinking shears (these scissors really make all the difference with this project)
  • Regular craft scissors

First, I spray painted the initial, candle holder and wood knob white.

Then I cut & knotted fabric scraps around the flag arm, alternating patterns.  I then embellished the flag with felt hearts, glued together with fabric glue (pink felt was cut with pinking shear for decorative edge). I used the hot glue gun to adhere to the flag.
 I cut out some larger hearts from felt & glued a button on top of them, then hot glued it to the mailbox. Next, I glued the initial to the other side of the mailbox, added a felt owl I had on hand & glued the knob on the front. Lastly I screwed the mailbox to the top of the candle holder (just in case the glue decided not to hold).
Ta-Da!
Of course, this can work for boys too! Just choose different colors/themes.

As a lil' extra, I made a quick felt envelope to put inside (super easy). I sewed two pieces of felt together (you could just use fabric glue on the edges & skip the sewing). Cut out a little 'stamp' with pinking shears and put them down with fabric glue. I then slit an opening in the back so it can hold small gifts. I glued fabric scrap over the opening as trim.  It’s not perfect, but looks like it was ‘made with love’ and that’s all that matters, right?



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, this is so cute!! I think we will give it a try.

Naila Moon of the Grey Wolf said...

I totally love this project. I wish my grand-baby was old enough, I would make her one.
I will save idea for future.
~Naila Moon

Shannon Brennan said...

So cute!!!

Anonymous said...

adorable

Post a Comment